Kendallville Publishing Co. Inc., the predecessor of KPC Media Group Inc., was founded by O. E. Michaelis and George W. Baxter after merging their Kendallville daily newspapers into the Kendallville News-Sun on Aug. 7, 1911. The company was sold to C. O. Merica in 1913. He died in 1918 and his wife, Alice Merica, became the principal owner of the company for the next half century. At the time of her death on Jan. 25, 1969, at the age of 103, she was the oldest newspaper publisher in the United States. George O. Witwer, who came to Kendallville as editor and general manager of The News Sun in 1962, became the principal owner and publisher in 1969. Witwer family members continue as the owners and operators of the company. Terry G. Housholder, who first went to work for the company while in high school in 1969, was president and publisher from 2001 to 2018, when he stepped down as publisher but remained president of the board. The company’s name changed to KPC Media Group Inc. in 2005, to reflect its expanded geographic market and additional products and services. The company’s main office is at 102 N. Main St., Kendallville, in the same building where the publishing firm was founded a century ago. The company’s other offices are in Auburn, Angola, Albion, Churubusco and Fort Wayne.
KPC Media Group Inc. remains a family-owned newspaper with family members still involved in day-to-day operations. It produces a variety of publications and websites.